Sunday, October 12, 2008

VeganMoFo: T'was the Night Before Thanksgiving...

I'm slightly embarrassed to say that when it comes to cooking in the kitchen, more often than not, I become freakishly uptight, hyperactive, volatile. I'm often slamming cupboards open and close, banging pots, pans and knives, and crudely butchering an onion at the very last minute before the oil over the stove explodes or something. Oh yes, the kitchen is my war zone for a hour or so. Even so, there's something about a little BP-raising frenzy in my day that totally has an appeal. It's kind of exciting not knowing for absolutely sure what the result will be.

Still, I making amends with my disorganized ways. Today, I reorganized my little spice nook.

It's kind of cute if I must say so myself. I know I can't tell what the spices on the pink rack (newly stolen from our bathroom) are, but I like the little labels I made for the ones in the plastic containers. Now, I just need circular stickers to label the top of those black-capped spice bottles on the rack.

And knowing that I'll be tripping over myself cooking up the big Thanksgiving spread tomorrow, I pre-baked the pie today - the Gingerbread Apple Pie from Vegan With a Vengeance. I hope I didn't kill it in the process. When I first added the apple mixture to the crust, I refrained from adding all of the liquid, because I worried that it'll make the crust too soggy. Then with ten minutes remaining in the oven, I decided the filling looked too dry and proceeded to dump the rest of the liquid into the pie. Was that wise? I tried popping the pie in a few minutes to see if the filling will "bubble" but it never did.

My mother was a little sad that I made the pie the day before, prefering a pie fresh out of the oven, but she really loved the few slices of apple that she fished out.


Also, to minimize the frantic speed cooking that I'll probably be doing, I've written a battle plan - a couple of notes on details I should remember but will forget. I'm such a crazy cook. It should be fun tomorrow!

1 comment:

the little one said...

You should post the battle plan. That would be really interesting! The pie looks fantastic. I'm sure your liquid choices were just right. Have a great Thanksgiving!