Sunday, October 26, 2008

VeganMoFo: Snapshots

I've been making stuff - yes, I have, but you couldn't tell with the amount of blogging I've been doing for VeganMofo. The pictures I take just kind of sit there in my computer, and the words stay locked between my ears and never reach the tips of my fingers.

I've also been shooting lots of pictures of the food I make. I have a simple Canon digital camera (I couldn't tell you the model if you asked; that tells you a lot about how awesome I am at photography) and I don't think I have a lot of options when it comes to wanting to focus for a good picture - yes, I just follow the green rectangle on the screen, which doesn't materialize where I want it to most of the time. I end up taking picture after picture of the food, from different angles, playing with different camera functions, turning on more lights and opening the blinds, dressing up the "set", adjusting the food into more aesthetically appealing arrangements... If you're not a blogger/flickr/ppk.com/other such online communities foodie, you wouldn't understand what I'm talking about here.

In the end, I only have about a ton of pictures to scan through. The blurry ones and the accidental flash ones are the easiest to sort out. Those automatically get the honour of the delete button. It's the middle of the road pictures that make a hard decision. I always end up having several pictures where the difference is in the slightest - a hair's width - change in the frame. That makes life hard, at least when life's asking you to post more MoFo'ings.

This post is dedicated to the prolific life of voluptuous food photography:

One of my mother's co-workers grows apples in her backyard. Jealous! Luckily, my mother brought back a bag of them for us to eat...for me to eat. I eat about 3 of them every day. They are possibly the most delicious apples I've ever eatn. Yay for home-grown!
This one's cute; it looks kind of bashful or something:
I thought it would be clever to take photographs of the apple on top of some of my school books:
Can you tell I'm taking a Gothic fiction class? We're reading Dracula at the moment:




I made "The Best Pumpkin Muffins" from VWAV. I haven't eaten too many pumpkin muffins in my day, but there are definitely kicking butts from my humble perspective. I'm fantasizing about chocolate chips in them, next time. I do have leftover canned pumpkin in the fridge...

My personal favourite shot of the bunch:
You can't tell, but Pippin (my dog) is in the picture, top right corner:
My mother commissioned another apple pie. I used the gingerbread filling from VWAV, coupled with the pastry crust recipe from Veganomicon. My mother spirited the pie away the next morning, and the reviews so far are even better than the first one (from my Thanksgiving post). I'm making the pastry crust again, because I just love pastry crusts, and this time, I'm making sure I get to eat it. Preferably, eat it all.


The horridness of late-night baking and thus late-night food pictures - the lighting sucks!



So there you have it. If you felt at any time frustrated due to the repetitive nature of the line-up of pictures, then you've just felt the imposition of my own secret loathing of favouritism. What, I like all (not really) my pictures; I refuse to choose only one to share. Here's another secret: I'm slave to one of Picasa's editing features. It's called "I'm Feeling Lucky". If the pictures look off in colouring, shade, or highlighting, blame Picasa and Google for the product. I'm only the person propping the digital camera.

3 comments:

Sheree' said...

Apples are my friends. I love them. Usually I eat Fuji, but today I am Granny Smith. Man it was good. When I got them I thought of pie, but hey I like the crunch and no sugar. This is one delicious post.

Jen Treehugger said...

That Pie looks sooo freaking good!!
You take nice photos.
:)

Peggy said...

Those pictures are making me hungry. I noticed The Picture of Dorian Gray in your stack of books, that's one of my very favorites :)