Saturday, October 18, 2008

"Vegan Blog Survey": aren't my titles great?

I haven't been feeling very creative lately. I got sick right after Thanksgiving. It rained all week. I had a background paper due Friday that I began Thursday after dinner.

So. I Googled "vegan blog survey", hoping for something useful. And the first hit was a VeganMoFo survey apparently from this year. Score!

1. Favorite non-dairy milk? For sheer economy, my family buys plain Silk in a carton of three from Costco. But I love the chocolate-flavoured So Nice. I also really loved an almond milk I tried, but I don't recall the brand.

2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook? Yikes. I don't know if I have a plan in place for the rest of the month...or if ever.

3. Topping of choice for popcorn? Huh. I haven't had home-popped popcorn since I was a wee kid. And haven't had any popcorn for...a long time. I would choose EB and salt, I guess. I'd try nooch on it too.

4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure? My sister and I make cookies for our extended family every Christmas, and I remember one holiday we mistook teaspoon for tablespoon and ruined a batch of cookies. It is so sad when cookies meet the dumpster.

5. Favorite pickled item? Pickled ginger with sushi and pickled cucumbers in a burger.

6. How do you organize your recipes? I have a binder for web-printed or handwritten recipes. I also have a bunch of recipes that I either bookmarked or saved on file.

7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal? Trash, though I want to eventually learn to compost.

8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)? That's so hard. I love all my food. If these will magically provide all the nutrients I need to survive: peanut butter, banana, and (going out on a stinky limb here) durian.

9. Fondest food memory from your childhood? My mom baking! That seems like years ago. She must have stopped when I was still pretty young - before I was 8 or 9 - but my perception of the past in time kind of sucks. She would bake chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies, jam thumprints she called "bird's nest cookies", banana bread, carrot muffins...Mmm. Nowadays, baking is sporadic, and I do all of it, more or less.

10. Favorite vegan ice cream? Out of the kinds I've tried, I like the taste of Purely Decadent the best, but it gets so rock hard in my freezer. Flavours: Chocolate Obsession and Peanut Butter Zig-Zag. I really want to get my hands on Chunky Mint Madness. Also, I want vegan soft-serve.

11. Most loved kitchen appliance? You know, I really love the feel of a good strong wooden spoon.

12. Spice/herb you would die without? Basil, though it's not something that finds a place in my meals too often.

13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time? My very first cookbook: Vegan Vittles.

14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly? Blueberry, strawberry, or raspberry. Actually I like all jam.

15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend? I like to switch it up for variety, but I'll go with lasagna.

16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh? Tofu's closest to my heart, as it's a part of my cultural background.

17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)? Dinner, because I have all day to plan and shop for it.

18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator? Random cardboard boxes.

19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking. A lump of pizza dough. Cake trimmings from the cake I blogged about earlier this month. Tempeh.

20. What's on your grocery list? Cornmeal. I made cornbread today and used up the last of it. I am the queen of cornbread.

21. Favorite grocery store? Choices.

22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet. Cheesecake, but I'm spoiled with Chi Cake, so I'll probably never get around to that.

23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3? I've been looking through too many!

24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate? None. I'm impartial to candy - don't buy, so I don't even know which ones are vegan. If someone gave me vegan candy though, I'll eat it! As for chocolate, I prefer it in something, like a baked cookie or muffin, or a milkshake.

25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately? Dutch-processed cocoa powder.

26. Ingredients you are scared to work with? How about something I'm sacred to make? Seitan.

1 comment:

Sheree' said...

Don't be afraid to make seitan. Use the recipe from the Real Food Daily Cookbook. It is quick to whip up, bakes in the oven. No Fuss no muss and it is fantastic!

I love oat milk, but really expensive.

Can you send some cooler weather, I want to make soup. :o)