Monday, October 27, 2008

VeganMoFo: Chocolate Fantasies

I've been craving chocolate like crazy lately. I consider myself a chocolate fiend, but I don't just eat any old piece of chocolate. I'm quite particular about what kind of chocolate and how it gets eaten - in other words, I'm only seriously crazy about eating chocolate in certain shapes and form.

One of my most favourite form lies in the shape of this type of container:


Oh yes. Ice cream. I love ice cream, not because it is ice cream, but because it is the medium between me and my chocolate fantasies. I hardly - and I mean never - have a hankering for the ubiquitous vanilla; when we used to buy the neopolitan kind when I was a kid, I would make sure that I would get as much chocolate as possible while touching as little of the vanilla as I could, without detection from my sister. (Speaking of neopolitan: why does the chocolate portion always seem to be less than the others?)

But chocolate. Ah. The possibilities of rich and sinful flavour combinations are endless. (I have to quibble: I like my ice cream without the crunch of nuts, thank you!)

We were eating out near my favourite local food store on Thursday night, so I took the opportunity to skip in and buy some essential goodies...like the Purely Decadent ice cream pictured above. Previously, I've tried a few flavours including Peanut Butter Zig-Zag, Mocha Almond Fudge, and Chocolate Obsession. They were all good, but the flavour I was really hankering after was Chunky Mint Madness. It was my awesome luck that I finally found this very flavour combination at the food store. Now, I bought this Thursday night and it is now Monday night, and I've polished off the whole thing by myself as of an hour ago. That's how good it was. It's minty, it's chocolatey (I tried to ignore the vanilla swirls in it - I loved how chocolate outnumbered vanilla, thank you!), and I adore the squishy bits of chocolate cookies. It was like eating cookies and cream, but not, because it's chocolatey and minty and not vanilla-y and milky.

Thank you, Purely Decadent for Chunky Mint Madness! I also appreciated that it was not the rock-hard block of ice cream I experienced with the other flavours aforementioned. Perhaps it was that my freezer was actually sort of full this time. I want to try the Peanut Butter Zig-Zag another time again. With a sort of full freezer.

1 comment:

Sheree' said...

One of the best ice creams on the market!